Best Pulled Pork Recipe
This post contains affiliate links, meaning if you click through and decide to purchase, I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you! I only post links to products I myself have used and would recommend to others. Thank you! For more information, see the full Disclosure.
Pulled pork is a relatively new favourite in our house. Until we got an Instant Pot, I wasn’t really a fan of all-day cooking. After experimenting a few times with different recipes, and trying out several ways of cooking pork roasts, I am all about this fast and tasty pulled pork. I make up a big batch and then it can be used three different ways, to satisfy my picky eaters, or to feed a crowd!
Instant Pot Cooking
What I love about the Instant Pot is how fast I can cook a whole pork roast, even a large one! Once it’s started and the pot is sealed, it’s really hands off cooking. This is valuable time I can use to finish up chores, help the kids with homework, or even grab some “me time” with a cup of tea and a book. I rave about, and have gifted the Instant Pot several times over! It’s been a revolution for my menu planning!
The secret to this recipe is searing the meat, coated in the dry rub before cooking. Another feature I love about the instant pot, is saute-ing right in the pot. Less mess to clean up!
Pulled Pork Three Ways
This pulled pork recipe is awesome all on it’s own, but you can switch it up by serving it three ways! Serve it on mini buns with coleslaw for Pulled Pork Sliders. Substitute tortilla wraps for Pulled Pork Tacos. Or try adding it to homemade mac and cheese, for Pulled Pork Mac ‘n Cheese! I recommend having extra bbq sauce on hand to drizzle over the top of all three options, and have the napkins at the ready!
- 1 pork roast, bone-in or boneless, 3-6 lbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion flakes or onion powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- ½ tablespoon salt
- pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup water
- ½ bottle Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
- Cut pork roast into several large chunks (4-6, depending on size)
- Mix all dry ingredients together to form a dry rub.
- Coat pork chunks with dry rub on all sides.
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute setting.
- Heat oil, and brown pork chunks on each side (about 3 minutes each), in several batches if needed.
- Remove browned pork from the pot.
- Carefully add bbq sauce and water to pot, stirring to scrape up brown bits (adds flavour).
- Add meat back to pot, place lid and lock in "sealed" position.
- Choose "Manual" setting, and set time for 60 minutes.
- Once cooking time is complete, vent per Instant Pot instructions and remove lid.
- Remove meat. Using two forks, shred pork as desired.
- Reserve 1-2 cups of liquid, discard the rest.
- Return meat and reserved liquid to pot and mix together, leaving on "Keep Warm".
- Serve with additional bbq sauce, coleslaw.
Like this recipe? You might also enjoy these…
Want to save for later? Pin it to your favourite Pinterest board!