Easy Garlic Shrimp Pasta
You know those nights…you stumble in the door from a long day at work, one kid has sports, the other cadets, they both have to get homework done, and you have nothing thawed or planned for dinner. Never fear! Here’s a solution!
This easy garlic shrimp pasta is quick to make, getting dinner on the table in under 30 minutes. Great for those weeknight meals when your pressed for time! Creamy, garlic flavour with a bright green hit of summer, paired with shrimp and linguine…to die for!
Ingredients On Hand Make It Easy
I stock up on the bags of frozen, uncooked shrimp when they are on sale, making this an ideal budget meal. Most of the remaining ingredients are always on hand. We buy the Kirkland brand chopped garlic in a jar, which saves time peeling and chopping (although I find I have to double the recommended amount for our taste). You can also peel and chop shallots ahead of time and freeze.
Measurements of oil, butter, cream and parmesan are a best guess, but a good starting point. Because I have made this recipe so many times, I just eyeball it, and add more as needed to get the consistency of sauce we like (you can add extra butter…I don’t judge!)
Don’t underestimate the reserve pasta water! Once the al dente pasta is added to the pan, it soaks up all the yummy goodness of the sauce, so adding the starchy pasta water a bit at a time and stirring will give you a nice creamy sauce.
Convenience Makes It Even Easier
I’m all about convenience, so pairing this quick and easy garlic shrimp pasta with a pre-washed bag salad, and a sliced baguette makes it super simple, yet gourmet! Add these to your grocery list for the week, and you’ll be set and ready to go.
- 1 package frozen, uncooked shrimp (approx 51/60 ct)
- ½ package dry linguine pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic (or double if you like garlic)
- 1 tbsp chopped shallots (optional)
- 2 tbsp cream
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fill large pot with water, salt liberally, and put on stove on high. Once boiling, add pasta and stir, cook to al dente (approx 7-8 minutes). During last minute, add frozen peas to pot.
- While pasta is cooking, place frozen shirmp in large bowl under cold running water for a few minutes. Gently pull off any shell or tails and dispose, leaving remaining shrimp in bowl to thaw.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and shallots and saute for a minute (watch it doesn't burn!)
- Drain shrimp and add to pan, saute for a few minutes, turning over when edges turns pink.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add cream and grated parmesan and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain pasta and peas, reserving a cup of the pasta water.
- Add pasta to pan, stir to coat, and add reserved pasta water a few tbsp at a time to create a creamy sauce.
- Serve immediately with extra grated parmesan.
Got a favourite easy weeknight meal that’s a staple in your family? Leave a comment below and let me know! I’m always on the lookout for simple, quick and healthy meals we can make in a hurry.
Want to save for later? Pin it to your favourite Pinterest board!
Like this recipe? Try these other quick and easy recipes your whole family will love!